1859-1864 – The present-day Susan B. Anthony House is constructed, with an original address of 7 Madison Street, by Husted Wanzer. Wanzer is an area dentist who owned the lot and lived nearby. It was a two-story, 12-room brick house in the Italianate style, suitable for middle-class occupants.
1864 – Aaron McLean, husband of Guelma (Susan B. Anthony’s older sister, known as Gula) moves into 7 Madison Street as a tenant along with his family.
1865 – Susan B. Anthony, along with her sister Mary S. Anthony and mother Lucy Read Anthony, move into 7 Madison Street with the McLeans.
1866 – Lucy Anthony purchases the House for $3,500.
1873 – Mary Anthony purchases the House from her mother in December for $4,500.
1876 – Rochester city water mains are connected to Madison Street. As a result, water is piped into the kitchen, and a bathroom is added to the House. Previously, the Anthonys relied on a rainwater cistern.
1884 – Rochester streets are renumbered – 7 Madison Street became 17 Madison Street.
1892 – Anthony is elected president of the National American Woman’s Suffrage Association (NAWSA), bringing the headquarters to her home at 17 Madison Street.
1894 – First floor parlors become public offices, while guest rooms are used for mail, in connection with the New York State Constitutional Campaign.
1895 – The third story, including a workroom, is added to the house for use in researching, compiling, and writing the History of Woman Suffrage and the biography of Susan B. Anthony. A telephone is installed in the House was well.
1906 – Susan B. Anthony dies at home on March 13.
1907 – Mary Anthony dies at home on February 5. The heirs decide to sell the House with family and friends dividing up most furnishings and small items. The House is sold to Margaret A. Howard, president of the Council of Women, for $5,700; her family lives there for four years.
1911 – Margaret A. Howard sold the House to Julius Boreau, who lived there with his family, but also turned it into a rooming house.
1919 – House owned by Raymond M. Walker.
1920 – Electricity installed at 17 Madison Street.
1921-1935 – 17 Madison St. is bought by Eugene and Mary Carey, and serves as a boarding house.
1935-1944 – House is converted back to single-family dwelling.
1944 – The Rochester Federation of Women’s Clubs places a simple marker at the home, which fuels further discussions of converting the House into a memorial to Susan B. and Mary S. Anthony.
1945 – After 40 years in private hands, the Susan B. Anthony House on Madison Street is purchased for $8,500 with funds raised by leaders of the Rochester Federation of Women’s Clubs to create a museum. The collection of artifacts begins.
1948 – A New York State Historic Marker is placed in front of the House.
1966 – The Susan B. Anthony House is designated a National Historic Landmark (highest historic designation given to a private home, which includes the White House).
1971 – The park square near the House is renamed “Anthony Park.”
1971-1972 – After a year-long closure, the museum reopens when Agnes and Joseph Hilbert, of 16 Madison St, volunteer to look after the House and give tours.
1977 – Susan B. Anthony Preservation District, a nine-block area, is designated and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1981 – Photograph collections begin to be cataloged, copied, and stored by Dr. William Lee of Kodak.
1982 – Handicapped entrance ramp is constructed in the rear of the House.
1983-1984 – Guided by preservation experts, air conditioning is installed in the House.
1985 – A handicapped-accessible bathroom is installed on the first floor of the House.
1986 – A completely new roof is installed.
1991 – National Park Service (NPS) assesses the House, completing a Special Resource Reconnaissance Study.
1992 – The first paid professional executive director is hired. After 47 years of quiet caretaking, the Susan B. Anthony House moves into a new era of professional museum management.
1994 – 19 and 21 Madison Street are acquired through a City of Rochester Community Development Block Grant. 19 Madison Street was the former home of Anthony’s sister, Hannah Anthony Mosher.
1995 – Year-long local and national commemorative events celebrate Susan B. Anthony’s 175th birthday, the 75th anniversary of the 19th Amendment, and the 50th anniversary of the Susan B. Anthony House. The Gleason Foundation pledges a lead gift as the first capital campaign is launched.
1998 – Successful conclusion of the capital campaign culminates in the grand opening of 19 Madison Street. Facilities include a museum shop in the Visitor Center and a new facility, called the “Carriage House” for special events and educational programs.
2000 – The National Park Service awards federal funding to the Susan B. Anthony House to complete a comprehensive Historic Structures Report to guide restoration of Anthony’s home and grounds to the “period of significance” (1898-1906), the last eight years of Anthony’s life.
A Conservation Project Support Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services provides museum-quality shelving and other archival storage equipment.
Key Bank and Flower City Habitat for Humanity donate 16 Madison Street, a distinguished Queen-Anne-style home built in the 1890s located across the street from the Susan B. Anthony House, in exchange for $1.
2002 – The Susan B. Anthony House is awarded a $300,000 matching grant through Save America’s Treasures for restoration of the Susan B. Anthony House.
The Brody Family Trust provides funds for rehabilitation of 16 Madison Street, creating office space for staff.
2003 – The Susan B. Anthony House celebrates the grand opening of the Ruth Miller Brody Administrative Office Building at 16 Madison Street.
2004 – Phase I of the restoration of the Susan B. Anthony House begins. The $600,000 project includes repairs to the exterior walls and foundation, construction of a new roof and gutters, and installation of state-of-the-art heating, cooling, electrical and security systems.
2005 – Phase I of the restoration is completed. Preparations continue on the second phase of restoration, returning the interior to its appearance the last time Susan B. Anthony lived here.
2007 – Significant restoration work in the dining room, Mary’s study, and Mary’s bedroom; front and back parlors completed. Unopened letter from Harriet Taylor Upton to Susan B. Anthony (postmarked 1901) was discovered in wall under stairs.
2008 – Main stairs and plaster in hallways on both floors restored. Seaway Trail signage installed at 19 Madison St., along with the rehabilitation of the landscape and gardens.
2009 – Susan B. Anthony’s study completed. Major restoration is started in the museum room on the second floor.
2010 – Plaster restoration in one small bedroom and bathroom completed. Limited display of Carrie Chapman Catt photos installed in the kitchen area.
2011 – Front bedroom on second floor (formerly known as the “museum room”) re-opens as the Guest Chamber.
2012 – Susan B Anthony’s black silk dress gets a new exhibit case with improved UV protection. Mosher couch is restored and placed in Susan B Anthony’s study. 1848 portrait of Rhoda DeGarmo is conserved and restored.
2013 – Wall covering is installed in main stairway, and custom chenille portiere is completed and installed between parlors.
2014 – 1898 oil painting by Eliza Anthony, a cousin, is installed in the dining room.